Discover the mountains in winter, not on the ski slopes, not even on skis we are talking about winter ascents!! You’ll be alone, you’ll be breaking the track to climb easy mixt and snow summits. Now that summers are warmer snow/mixed ascents are in better conditions during the winter. That is why we invite you to discover winter climbing from mid-February to mid-May. Our program includes a first day to get used to the gear and 2 days to climb some nice peaks away from the crowds.
This course is designed for people in good physical condition. In winter, accesses to the routes require the use of snowshoes and is more demanding than in summer. But it definitely worth the effort!
Day 1: Ice-Climbing / mountaineering basics
First meeting with your guide, checking the equipment. Ice climbing / mountaineering training day (ice walls, rope technics, belay and progression).
Days 2 : Course from Helbronner (3642m)
This day is focused on a snow course. We will climb Petit Flambeau (3407m), Aiguille de Toule (3534m) or a corridor in les Marbrées.
Days 3 : Course from the Aiguille du Midi (3842m)
This day is focused on an ice or mixed rock & ice course. Pointe Lachenal (3613m), Arête à Laurence or itinerary to the Cosmiques ridge (3800m).
This programme is meant as a guide only. Depending on the abilities of the group and the conditions in the mountains, your mountain guide may alter the route.
Group session associates several people who don’t know each other. It allows for a planned program to benefit from an attractive price on fixed dates. This formula is ideal for people looking for the friendliness of a group.
Dates 2021 : February 12-14 ; February 19-21 ; February 26-28 ; March 12-14 and March 26-28.
Price 2021 : 575€ per person based on minimum of 3 participants.
Included in the package :
- IFMGA English speaking mountain guiding service
- Lifts tickets
- Transfer to Italy (Day2)
- Technical equipment: crampons, ice axes, harness, helmet & DVA
Not included in the package :
- All meals
- Personal drinks and other personal expenses (we recommend you bring Euros)
- Cost of getting to meeting point
- Personal technical equipment
- Accommodations in Chamonix
Private hiring is the historical relationship that binds a guide to his/her client. It allows you to be alone, or in a constituted group, with your guide that meets your specific needs. It is undoubtedly the ideal formula to realize your projects because it guarantees you a maximum of comfort. You are free to choose your departure date (depending on the availability of the huts) and the itinerary can be adjusted, according to your specific expectations.
Prices 2021 :
2 persons : 845€ per person
3 persons : 610€ per person
4 persons : 495€ per person
These prices include the same conditions as mentionned above.
Meeting point : Meet at 08:30 am at the Compagnie des Guides office in Chamonix (190, place de l'eglise).
Ability level : For people doing regular exercise. This alpinism course is aimed at people with some experience in crampon use and climbing.
Guiding policy : The group is composed of 4 participants maximum per guide. The Compagnie des Guides de Chamonix's guiding policy is one of the strictest in the mountain guiding business.
Accomodation : No accommodation during the trip.
We have some hotel partners in Chamonix with special prices for our customers.
Documentation : Participants must have mountain sports insurance with repatriation cover. We strongly recommend that this also includes cancellation cover. You can take out insurance offering both of these types of cover when you sign up. Participants must also take valid ID with them.
Preparing for the trip : One week before the trip, the mountain guide will be in contact to answer any questions you may have.
We recommend you to pay particular attention to the choice of your equipment. It contributes greatly to the success of your stay. Weight is decisive: you always have to evaluate the ratio weight/comfort, to find the best compromise.
In a general way, it is better to pile up several light coats rather than wear one big clothing.
- Comfortable frameless rucksack (about 35-40 litres)
- Hiking boots to use semi-rapid crampons
- A pair of gaiters if your pant is not equipped
- A pair of telescopic poles
- A pair of crampons, helmet, harness & Ice-Axe - lended
- Waterproof and windproof, non-insulated parka with hood (Gore-tex or equivalent)
- Waterproof and windproof, non-insulated pants
- Thick polar-pile fleece jacket or equivalent
- 1 long-sleeve shirt
- Medium weight thermal underwear (top + bottoms, silk or polypro, double as pyjamas)
- Warm socks
- Warm ski hat and light sun hat with brim
- Warm ski gloves or mittens
- A pair of adjusted gloves allowing you to easily handle material,
- Neck protection,
- Spare thermal underwear (for sleeping and change), down vest, T-shirt (s)
- High-altitude sunglasses (grade 4 is recommended)
- 1.0 or 1.5 quart water bottle (insulate if possible)
- Sun block for face and lips
- Aspirin, elastoplast, 2nd skin kit
Partners : You can rent your equipment with our rental shops partners and benefit from special price Sanglard Sports & Ravanel & Co
A 10€ discount voucher coming from the shop Au Vieux Campeur will be given to the first 500 clients from the ‘Cie des Guides’ (voucher to be collected at our office). Closest shop ‘Au Vieux Campeur’ : Sallanches.
Book your activity
Select the package of your choice: