Discover mountaineering against the stunning backdrop of the Mont Blanc Massif. Three days to learn basic techniques and develop your skills on rocky, glaciated and mixed terrain. A specific guiding ratio of three to four participants per guide allows us to provide personalised advice and a large degree of flexibility when it comes to choice of route.
Education, magical settings and learning are the watchwords behind this course.
Day 1 : Rock climbing skills
We leave Chamonix for the Gaillands climbing area. Here we learn the techniques for moving over rocky terrain, including roping up, belaying, and securing belay stances. Chance to second or lead climb, depending on how you feel.
Day 2 : Ice skills
- First experience and reviewing session: learning the basic techniques for walking on a glacier.
- Classic cramponing method, using 10-spike crampons, roping up, belaying …
Day 3 : Day route
The time has come to put what you have learned over the previous two days to the test! Your guide will choose a destination depending on the group’s objectives and the conditions in the mountains on the day. Examples of day routes include the Petite Aiguille Verte (3512m) and the traverse of the Aiguilles Crochues (2840m).
This programme is meant as a guide only. Depending on the abilities of the group and the conditions in the mountains, your mountain guide may alter the route.
Group session associates several people who don’t know each other. It allows for a planned program to benefit from an attractive price on fixed dates. This formula is ideal for people looking for the friendliness of a group.
Dates 2020 :
May : 01 to 03 - 08 to 10 - 15 to 17
June : 05 to 07 - 19 to 21
July : 03 to 05 - 13 to 15 - 20 to 22 - 27 to 29
August : 03 to 05 - 10 to 12 - 17 to 19 - 24 to 26
September : 31 to 02 - 11 to 13 - 18 to 20 - 25 to 27
October: 19-21 ; 23-25 ; 30-01 November
Price 2019 : 480€ per persone, based on minimum of 3 people.
Included in the package:
- IFMGA English speaking mountain guiding service,
- Lift access as per programme,
Not included in the package :
- Personal drinks and other personal expenses (we recommend you bring Euros),
- Take out lunches and daily snacks,
- Cost of getting to meeting point,
- Personal technical equipment including your mountaineering shoes.
Private hiring is the historical relationship that binds a guide to his/her client. It allows you to be alone, or in a constituted group, with your guide that meets your specific needs. It is undoubtedly the ideal formula to realize your projects because it guarantees you a maximum of comfort. You are free to choose your departure date and the itinerary can be adjusted, according to your specific expectations.
Prices 2020 :
2 persons : 750€ per person
3 persons : 535€ per person
4 persons : 425€ per person
Rendez-vous : Meet at 8.30am at the Chamonix Guides Company: 190 place de l’église, on Day 1.
Ability : An appropriate choice of peak is essential for you to properly enjoy your holiday. To get the most out of your trip we recommend you take regular exercise throughout the year and, where necessary, undertake specific training a few months before you leave. Try to avoid last minute training that can lead to injury. Do not to overestimate your abilities and do be aware that the weight of your pack and higher altitudes reduce your usual strength and stamina. Physical level : For people who regularly exercise/take part in sports. Six to seven hours of exercise per day.
Technical level : No mountaineering experience necessary.
Guiding policy : 3 to 4 people. The Compagnie des Guides de Chamonix's guiding policy is one of the strictest in the mountain guiding business. It guarantees the most balanced groups as possible as well as high-quality personalised advice. Minor, only accompagnied by a parent.
Accomodation : During the stay : No accommodation included.
Before & after : We have some hotel partners in Chamonix with special prices for our customers.
Documentation : Participants must have mountain sports insurance with repatriation cover. We strongly recommend that this also includes cancellation cover. You can take out insurance offering both of these types of cover when you sign up. Participants must also take valid ID with them.
Preparing for the trip : One week before the trip, the mountain guide will be in contact to answer any questions you may have.
We recommend you take particular care over you choice of equipment, as it plays a large role in the success of your trip. Weight is critical, and you must always evaluate the weight-to-comfort ratio to find the best compromise.
Weather conditions can be extremely variable: from 20ºC on the approach route to the hut, to -15ºC on the summit (like a cold winter’s day in a ski resort).
Generally speaking, it is better to put on several thin layers than to have one bulky item of warm clothing, and it is vital that you remain dry at all times.
- 30-litre backpack,
- High-altitude mountaineering boots that are not too tight, rentable
- Climbing shoes, rentable
- Gaiters, if needed for your trousers,
- Telescopic trekking poles, rentable
- Crampons with anti-balling plates; helmet, harness and straight ice axe, rentable
- Bring the technical equipment you have (figure of eight, locking carabiners…)
- Warm hat that can be worn under a helmet,
- Sun hat or cap,
- Neck protection such as a ‘Buff’,
- ‘Micro-fibre’ style long-sleeve base layer,
- ‘Gore Tex’ style shell jacket with hood, rentable
- Down jacket,
- Base layer leggings,
- Durable summer mountaineering trousers (not ski trousers),
- ‘Gore Tex’ style over-trousers, rentable
- Warm specialist walking socks,
- Lightweight specialist walking socks,
- Ski gloves or good quality mitts,
- Leather or fleece gloves.
- Category 4 sunglasses,
- Ski goggles,
- Water bottle (minimum 1.5l) and thermos bottle,
- Personalised first aid kit with a minimum of: sun cream, lip balm, cotton ,buds, blister kit, antisickness medication
- Watertight bag to contain your ID/passport and Euros.
Partners : You can rent your equipment with our rental shops partners and benefit from special price Sanglard Sports & Ravanel & Co
A 10€ discount voucher coming from the shop Au Vieux Campeur will be given to the first 500 clients from the ‘Cie des Guides’ (voucher to be collected at our office). Closest shop ‘Au Vieux Campeur’ : Sallanches.
Book your activity
Select the package of your choice: