00 (33) 450 530 088 / Contact-us
Ice climbing is often considered as an inaccessible activity... Go for our ice climbing discovery weekend, you will find out that it is a really fun activity. The site of Argentière is particularly made for initiation. The approach is short and the icefalls are numerous and varied. The Lognan refuge built on the edge of the seracs of the Argentière Glacier will guarantee you a peaceful and warm evening in the mountains.
Program: good mood for discovering the pleasures of ice climbing.
- Discovering basic equipment and gestures.
- Autonomy as a climber in level 3-4.
- Introduction to lead climbing
Due to the fire that affected the lift station of Lognan-Les Grands Montets, we cannot reach the hut on foot. Consequently, this programme will take place to Cogne (Italy) which is a famous site for ice-climbing.
Day 1: Meeting point at Grands Montets (Argentière). We leave by foot (30 ') for the Cremerie, which is ideal for discovering. In the middle of the afternoon, we take the Grands Montets cable car to the Lognan refuge (2,032m) where we spend the night.
Day 2: We reach by foot (20 ') the site of the left bank of the Argentière glacier. Climbing on the “Dents de la Mer” wall and initiation to lead climbing. Return to Argentière in the middle of the afternoon.
This programme is meant as a guide only. Depending on the abilities of the group and the conditions in the mountains, your mountain guide may alter the route
Group session associates several people who don’t know each other. It allows for a planned program to benefit from an attractive price on fixed dates. This formula is ideal for people looking for the friendliness of a group.
DATES 2019 : December 15th & 16th - December 22nd & 23rd - January 05th & 06th - Januray 12th & 13th - January 19th & 20th - February 02nd 03rd - Februay 11th & 12th - February 25th & 26th .
PRICE 2019 : 440€ per person based on minimum of 3 participants.
Included in the package:
- IFMGA English speaking mountain guiding service,
- One half-board in hotel (dinner, breakfast and night),
- Transfer go&back from Chamonix to Cogne (Italy),
- Rental of gear (crampons, ice axes, helmet, harness)
- Personal drinks and other personal expenses (we recommend you bring Euros),
- Take out lunches and daily snacks,
- Cost of getting to meeting point,
- Personal technical equipment including your mountaineering shoes.
Meet at 08:00aml at the Chamonix Guides office. 190 place de l'église.
For people who regularly exercise/take part in sports. No ice climbing experience necessary.
3 to 4 people. The Compagnie des Guides de Chamonix's guiding policy is one of the strictest in the mountain guiding business. It guarantees the most balanced groups as possible as well as high-quality personalised advice.
During the trip: half-board in hotel.
Before & after the trip: We have some hotel partners in Chamonix with special prices for our customers. If you want to receive information just ask Célia
Participants must have mountain sports insurance with repatriation cover. We strongly recommend that this also includes cancellation cover. You can take out insurance offering both of these types of cover when you sign up. Participants must also take valid ID with them.
PREPARING FOR THE TRIP
One week before the trip, the mountain guide will be in contact to answer any questions you may have.
We recommend you to pay particular attention to the choice of your equipment. It contributes greatly to the success of your stay. Weight is decisive: you always have to evaluate the ratio weight/comfort, to find the best compromise. In a general way, it is better to pile up several light coats rather than wear one big clothing.
- Comfortable frameless rucksack (about 35-40 litres),
- Hiking boots to use semi-rapid crampons,
- A pair of gaiters if your pant is not equipped,
- A pair of crampons, helmet, harness & Ice-Axe - lended
- Waterproof and windproof, non-insulated parka with hood (Gore-tex or equivalent)
- Waterproof and windproof, non-insulated pants
- Thick polar-pile fleece jacket or equivalent
- 1 long-sleeve shirt
- Medium weight thermal underwear (top + bottoms, silk or polypro, double as pyjamas)
- Warm socks
- Warm ski hat and light sun hat with brim
- Warm ski gloves or mittens
- A pair of adjusted gloves allowing you to easily handle material,
- Neck protection,
- Spare thermal underwear (for sleeping and change), down vest, T-shirt (s)
- High-altitude sunglasses (grade 4 is recommended),
- 1.0 or 1.5 quart water bottle (insulate if possible),
- Sun block for face and lips,
- Aspirin, elastoplast, 2nd skin kit,
You can rent your equipment with our rental shops partners and benefit from special price Sanglard Sports & Ravanel & Co
A 10€ discount voucher coming from the shop Au Vieux Campeur will be given to the first 500 clients from the ‘Cie des Guides’ (voucher to be collected at our office). Closest shop ‘Au Vieux Campeur’ : Sallanches.
|Number of people||Price per person|