The Compagnie des Guides de Chamonix is made up of ski mountaineering specialists. They can help you to prepare for the famous “Mezzalama Trophy” race which links Breuil Cervinia to Gressonney. With a length of 53 kms and more than 3000m of height difference, this race is made for skiers who practice specifically for this goal and have a really good experience of ski mountaineering. We propose a two-day preparation course, with a night in the Quintino Sella hut.
Day 1 : Departure from Breuil-Cervinia village (2009m) - Col Teodulo (3290m) - Col du Breithorn (3831m) - Pointe Castor (4223m). Night in Quintino Sella hut (3585m).
Vertical ascent: 2200m - Vertical descent: 100m.
Day 2 : Departure from Quintino Sella hut (3585m) - Nez du Lyskamm (4272m) - Descent by Citta di Mantova hut and Orestes hut. End of the tour in Gressonney.
Vertical ascent: 690m - Vertical descent: 2640m.
This program is meant as a guide only. Depending on the abilities of the group and the conditions in the mountains, your mountain guide may alter the route.
This ski tour is accessible only on private guiding. No collective group.
Private guiding is the historic relationship between a guide and their clients. It allows you to be alone or in a group of friends with your guide where the guide organizes your outing to suit your specific needs. It is undoubtedly the ideal formula with which you can realize your projects and you are guaranteed a maximum of comfort. You are free to choose your departure date (depending on availabilities in the accommodation).
Dates 2020 : on demand.
Prices 2020 :
1 person: 1430€ per person
2 persons: 760€ per person
3 persons: 535€ per person
4 persons: 420€ per person
Included in the package :
- IFMGA English speaking mountain guiding service
- Half-board in a mountain hut on Day 1 (dinner, breakfast and night)
- The transfer from Gressonney to Breuil Cervinia (at the end of the tour)
- The transfer between Chamonix and Breuil with the guide
- Rental of full safety kit (avalanche transceiver/DVA, shovel, probe) and harness.
Not included in the package :
- Take out lunches and daily snacks
- Personal drinks and other personal expenses (we recommend you bring Euros)
- Personal technical equipment
Meeting point : At 6:30am in Breuil-Cervinia or at 5:00am in Chamonix if you decide to leave with the guide. Your guide will contact you a few days before to give you the exact information.
Ability level: An appropriate choice of destination is essential for you to properly enjoy your holiday. To get the most out of your trip we recommend you take regular exercise throughout the year and, where necessary, undertake specific training a few months before you leave. Try to avoid last minute training that can lead to injury. It is important you do not overestimate your abilities and you understand that the weight of your backpack, the altitude and the snow conditions can negatively impact on your normal skiing ability.
Technical level: For experienced skiers in ski touring. Varied slopes, a few technical sections (slopes up to 35º). Solid technique in all snow conditions. Mastery of basic mountaineering techniques (walking with crampons and ice axe) and kick turns.
Fitness level: For people who regularly exercise/take part in sports and are experienced ski tourers. Vertical ascent of up to 1600m per day. Nine to ten hours of exercise per day. Your backpack will carry your mountaineering equipment (crampons and ice axe) and your skis (during certain parts of the day) so you need to be able to do this with a full backpack. Altitudes above 4000m.
Guiding policy : Maximum 4 people per guide. The Compagnie des Guides de Chamonix's guiding policy is one of the strictest in the mountain guiding business. It guarantees the most balanced groups as possible as well as high-quality personalized advice.
Accomodation : During the trip: half-board in a mountain hut.
Before & after the trip: We have some hotel partners in Chamonix with special prices for our customers.
Documentation : Participants must have mountain sports insurance with repatriation cover. We strongly recommend that this also includes cancellation cover. You can take out insurance offering both of these types of cover when you sign up. Participants must also take valid ID with them.
Preparing for the trip : One week before the trip, the mountain guide will be in contact to answer any questions you may have.
We recommend you to pay particular attention to the choice of your equipment. It contributes greatly to the success of your stay. Weight is decisive: you always have to evaluate the ratio weight/comfort, to find the best compromise. In a general way, it is better to pile up several light coats rather than wear one big clothing.
- Comfortable frameless rucksack of 35l on which you could fix your skis & ice-axe,
- Ski touring skis & shoes,
- Adhesive climbing skins & ski knifes adapted to your skis,
- A pair of poles with large discs,
- A security pack including harness, DVA, shovel & probe - this pack will be lend by your guide.
- A pair of light crampons & an ice-axe.
- Waterproof and windproof, non-insulated parka with hood (Gore-tex or equivalent),
- Waterproof and windproof, non-insulated pants,
- Thick polar-pile fleece jacket or equivalent,
- A light down jacket,
- 1 long-sleeve shirt,
- Medium weight thermal underwear (top + bottoms, silk or polypro, double as pyjamas),
- Warm ski socks,
- Warm ski hat and light sun hat with brim,
- Warm ski gloves or mittens,
- A pair of adjusted gloves (in leather or fleece),
- Neck protection,
- Spare thermal underwear (for sleeping and change).
- High-altitude sunglasses (grade 4 is recommended),
- A goggle,
- 1.5 quart water bottle,
- An isotherm bottle,
- A mini toilet bag including: sun block for face and lips, aspirin, elastoplast, 2nd skin kit, earplug, toilet paper,
- A headlamp with spare batteries,
- A cotton or silk sleeping sheet: compulsory in every hut. - Hut provide blankets, slippers or clogs
- A plastic bag contains your ID card & Euros for extras.
Partners : You can rent your equipment with our rental shops partners and benefit from special price Sanglard Sports & Ravanel & Co .
A 10€ discount voucher coming from the shop Au Vieux Campeur will be given to the first 500 clients from the ‘Cie des Guides’ (voucher to be collected at our office). Closest shop ‘Au Vieux Campeur’ : Sallanches.