Located on the southern slope of the Monte Rosa massif, Monterosa ski paradise gathers 3 Italian resorts : Saint Jacques, Gressoney and Alagna. This ski resort offers a fabulous skier's playground to the "freerando" custom: short climbs, large descents of more than 2000m (6500ft) of elevation , summits more than 4000m (13120ft) and some spectaculars glaciers aereas.
Moreover, thanks to the italian welcome: get one of the unmissable spots in the Alps, close to Chamonix!
During this trip, your mountain guide will show you the good runs and will teach you the basis of ski alpinism : risk management, itinerary ski management and initiation of the basis mountaineering skills.
Rendez-vous at 07h30 at the Chamonix guide office. Minibus transfer to Stafal, starting point of the lifts of Val Gressonney. Ski lifts up to Indren and first descent to the Orestes hut. We leave our bags at the hut. The rest of the day is dedicated to a run to Alagna and an avalanche exercise.
Night to Orestes hut.
Starting from the hut to join the ski resort. We use the cable car to go up to Betaforca pass. Skin up to reach the Col supérieur de la Betolina. We ski down to Saint-Jacques. We go back to Bettaforca pass (go and down) ans come back to the hut.
Debriefing of the day to the hut and discussion about the ski itinerary management.
The last day is dedicated to ski touring in the direction of Pyramide Vincent (4215m). Ski down to Stafal through the Vallée Perdue (access in abseiling). Go back to Chamonix in the end of afternoon.
This programme is meant as a guide only. Depending on the abilities of the group and the conditions in the mountains, your mountain guide may alter the route.
Group session associates several people who don’t know each other. It allows for a planned program to benefit from an attractive price on fixed dates. This formula is ideal for people looking for the friendliness of a group.
Dates 2021: From Friday to Sunday
Departures on: January 08 & 22 - February 05 & 19
Price 2021 : 850€ per person based on minimum of 4 participants.
Included in the package :
- IFMGA English speaking mountain guiding service,
- Half-board in mountain huts (dinner, breakfast and night),
- Ski lift access as per programme,
- Transfer go & back from Chamonix,
- Rental of full safety kit (avalanche transceiver/DVA, shovel, probe).
Not included in the package :
- Take out lunches and daily snacks,
- Personal drinks in huts and other personal expenses (we recommend you bring Euros),
- Personal technical equipment.
Private hiring is the historical relationship that binds a guide to his/her client. It allows you to be alone, or in a constituted group, with your guide that meets your specific needs. It is undoubtedly the ideal formula to realize your projects because it guarantees you a maximum of comfort. You are free to choose your departure date (depending on the availability of the huts) and the itinerary can be adjusted, according to your specific expectations.
Prices 2021 :
1 person: 1335€ per person
2 persons : 1380€ per person
3 persons : 1060€ per person
4 persons : 890€ per person
5 persons : 805€ per person
6 persons : 745€ per person
These prices include the same conditions as mentioned above.
In this section, find all the information about this activity. For further information, please contact our advisor (contact details above).
Meeting point : Meet at 07:30 at the Compagnie des Guides office in Chamonix. Transfer by minibus to the departure point. (Participants may leave personal belongings in our office until the group returns). Return to Chamonix by minibus.
Ability level : An appropriate choice of destination is essential for you to properly enjoy your holiday. To get the most out of your trip we recommend you take regular exercise throughout the year and, where necessary, undertake specific training a few months before you leave. Try to avoid last minute training that can lead to injury. It is important you do not overestimate your abilities and you understand that the weight of your backpack, the altitude and the snow conditions can negatively impact on your normal skiing ability.
Fitness level : For people who regularly exercise/take part in sports and who have a previous ski touring experience. Vertical ascent of up to 900m per day. Five to six hours of exercise per day. Altitudes of under 3500m.
Technical level : For off-piste skiers making their first forays into ski touring. Wide slopes with short sections of narrow passages (up to 30°). Able to ski in all snow conditions.
Guiding policy : 4 to 6 people. The Compagnie des Guides de Chamonix's guiding policy is one of the strictest in the mountain guiding business. It guarantees the most balanced groups as possible as well as high-quality personalised advice.
Accomodation : During the trip: half-board in huts.
Before & after the trip: We have some hotel partners in Chamonix with special prices for our customers.
Documentation : Participants must have mountain sports insurance with repatriation cover. We strongly recommend that this also includes cancellation cover. You can take out insurance when you sign up. Participants must also take valid ID with them.
Preparing for the trip : Few days before the trip, the mountain guide will be in contact to answer any questions you may have.
We recommend you to pay particular attention to the choice of your equipment. It contributes greatly to the success of your stay. Weight is decisive: you always have to evaluate the ratio weight/comfort, to find the best compromise. In a general way, it is better to pile up several light coats rather than wear one big clothing.
- Comfortable frameless rucksack of 35l on which you could fix your skis & ice-axe, rentable
- Ski touring skis & shoes, rentable
- Adhesive climbing skins & ski knifes adapted to your skis, rentable
- A pair of poles with large discs, rentable
- A security pack including harness, DVA, shovel & probe - this pack will be lend by your guide
- Waterproof and windproof, non-insulated parka with hood (Gore-tex or equivalent), rentable
- Waterproof and windproof, non-insulated pants, rentable
- Thick polar-pile fleece jacket or equivalent
- A light down jacket
- 1 long-sleeve shirt
- Medium weight thermal underwear (top + bottoms, silk or polypro, double as pyjamas)
- Warm ski socks
- Warm ski hat and light sun hat with brim
- Warm ski gloves or mittens
- A pair of adjusted gloves (in leather or fleece)
- Neck protection
- Spare thermal underwear (for sleeping and change)
- High-altitude sunglasses (grade 4 is recommended)
- A goggle
- 1.5 quart water bottle
- An isotherm bottle
- A mini toilet bag including: sun block for face and lips, aspirin, elastoplast, 2nd skin kit, earplug, toilet paper
- A headlamp with spare batteries
- A cotton or silk sleeping sheet: compulsory in every hut. - Hut provide blankets, slippers or clogs
- A plastic bag contains your ID card & Euros for extras
A 10€ discount voucher coming from the shop Au Vieux Campeur will be given to the first 500 clients from the ‘Cie des Guides’ (voucher to be collected at our office). Closest shop ‘Au Vieux Campeur’ : Sallanches.