We bring you a trip combining beginners’ ski touring with gastronomy, all in the heart of the Aosta Valley. This is three days devoted to learning the basics of ski touring while soaking up the local culture. This stay is an opportunity to take a break and re-energise, enjoying the pleasures of skiing and Aosta Valley cuisine. The accommodation, in a gite in the village of Vetan perched at an altitude of 1700m, guarantees a unique and welcoming atmosphere. Your guide will provide tips and advice to allow you to quickly gain confidence and improve your technique.
This trip is aimed at skiers with some off-piste experience, looking to move on to ski touring. It is also aimed at ski tourers wishing to explore the best spots in the Aosta Valley.
Day 1 : Meet in Chamonix. Transfer to Italy and the village of Vetan (1670m), perched above Aosta. Here we leave our luggage and head out for the Pointe Aouillette (2616m), perfect for beginners’ ski touring. Night in gite in Vetan.
Vertical ascent: 600m / Vertical descent: 600m
Day 2 : Leave for the Pointe Leysser (2771m). Breathtaking views over the Grand Paradis and Mont Blanc ranges throughout the day. Night in gite in Vetan.
Vertical ascent: 1100m / Vertical descent: 1100m
Day 3 : Transfer to village of Arpy (1680m), located above Morgex. Leave for Pointe de la Croix (2480m). Our climb to the summit takes us through the Arpy valley larch forests. Magnificent views of the south face of Mont Blanc.
Vertical ascent: 800m / Vertical descent: 800m
This programme is meant as a guide only. Depending on the abilities of the group and the conditions in the mountains, your mountain guide may alter the route.
Group session associates several people who don’t know each other. It allows for a planned program to benefit from an attractive price on fixed dates. This formula is ideal for people looking for the friendliness of a group.
Dates 2020 : January 03 to 05 - January 17 to 19 - January 31 to February 02 - February 14 to 16 - February 28 to March 01.
Price 2020 : 530€ per person based on minimum of 4 participants.
Included in the package :
- IFMGA English speaking mountain guiding service
- Two half-board in gite (dinner, breakfast and night)
- Transfers as per programme
- Rental of full safety kit (avalanche transceiver/DVA, shovel, probe)
Not included in the package :
- Take out lunches and daily snacks
- Personal drinks in huts and other personal expenses (we recommend you bring Euros)
- Cost of getting to meeting point (Chamonix)
- Personal technical equipment
Private hiring is the historical relationship that binds a guide to his/her client. It allows you to be alone, or in a constituted group, with your guide that meets your specific needs. It is undoubtedly the ideal formula to realize your projects because it guarantees you a maximum of comfort. You are free to choose your departure date (depending on the availability of the huts) and the itinerary can be adjusted, according to your specific expectations.
Prices 2020 :
2 persons : 965€ per person
3 persons : 685€ per person
4 persons : 550€ per person
5 persons : 465€ per person
6 persons : 410€ per person
These prices include the same conditions as mentioned above.
Meeting point : Meet at 08:30 at the Compagnie des Guides office in Chamonix. Transfer by minibus to the departure point. (Participants may leave personal belongings in our office until the group returns). Return to Chamonix by minibus.
Ability level : An appropriate choice of destination is essential for you to properly enjoy your holiday. To get the most out of your trip we recommend you take regular exercise throughout the year and, where necessary, undertake specific training a few months before you leave. Try to avoid last minute training that can lead to injury. It is important you do not overestimate your abilities and you understand that the weight of your backpack, the altitude and the snow conditions can negatively impact on your normal skiing ability.
Fitness level : For people who regularly exercise/take part in sports. People must have a previous experience in off-piste skiing. No ski touring experience necessary. Vertical ascent of up to 900m per day. Five to six hours of exercise per day.
Technical level : For piste skiers making their first turns off-piste. Wide, shallow slopes (up to 30°). Good skiing ability in easy snow conditions.
Guiding policy : 4 to 6 people. The Compagnie des Guides de Chamonix's guiding policy is one of the strictest in the mountain guiding business. It guarantees the most balanced groups as possible as well as high-quality personalised advice.
Accomodation : During the trip: half-board in gite.
Before & after the trip: We have some hotel partners in Chamonix with special prices for our customers.
Documentation : Participants must have mountain sports insurance with repatriation cover. We strongly recommend that this also includes cancellation cover. You can take out insurance offering both of these types of cover when you sign up. Participants must also take valid ID with them.
Preparing for the trip : One week before the trip, the mountain guide will be in contact to answer any questions you may have.
We recommend you to pay particular attention to the choice of your equipment. It contributes greatly to the success of your stay. Weight is decisive: you always have to evaluate the ratio weight/comfort, to find the best compromise. In a general way, it is better to pile up several light coats rather than wear one big clothing.
- Comfortable frameless rucksack of 35l on which you could fix your skis
- Ski touring skis & shoes, rentable
- Adhesive climbing skins & ski knifes adapted to your skis, rentable
- A pair of poles with large discs, rentable
- A security pack including harness, DVA, shovel & probe - this pack will be lend by your guide
- Waterproof and windproof, non-insulated parka with hood (Gore-tex or equivalent), rentable
- Waterproof and windproof, non-insulated pants, rentable
- Thick polar-pile fleece jacket or equivalent
- A light down jacket
- 1 long-sleeve shirt
- Medium weight thermal underwear (top + bottoms, silk or polypro, double as pyjamas)
- Warm ski socks
- Warm ski hat and light sun hat with brim
- Warm ski gloves or mittens
- A pair of adjusted gloves (in leather or fleece)
- Neck protection
- Spare thermal underwear (for sleeping and change)
- High-altitude sunglasses (grade 4 is recommended)
- A goggle
- 1.5 quart water bottle
- An isotherm bottle
- A mini toilet bag including: sun block for face and lips, aspirin, elastoplast, 2nd skin kit, earplug, toilet paper
- A headlamp with spare batteries
- A plastic bag contains your ID card & Euros for extras
A 10€ discount voucher coming from the shop Au Vieux Campeur will be given to the first 500 clients from the ‘Cie des Guides’ (voucher to be collected at our office). Closest shop ‘Au Vieux Campeur’ : Sallanches.
Book your activity
Select the package of your choice: