Italy’s Ferret valley borders the southern side of the Mont Blanc Massif. The valley is particularly famous for the views it offers of the neighbouring high peaks, such as Mont Blanc, the Grandes Jorasses and the Dent du Géant. It is also highly prized for its sense of isolation and authenticity, as well as its tranquillity. This programme is specially dedicated to learning about ski touring. Here you can discover ski touring in a unique environment while enjoying the comfort of the Bonatti hut.
A summary of what awaits you: great skiing in fantastic scenery plus typical Aosta valley accommodation!
Day 1 : Short transfer from Chamonix to the Val Ferret via the Mont Blanc tunnel. We put on our skis in the small village of Planpincieux (1580m) then climb up the Val Ferret to the hamlet of Lavachey (1642m). Our ascent continues through the woods to the Malatra ‘alpages’, or high mountain pastures, from where we glimpse the Bonatti hut (2025m). The afternoon is devoted to learning basic techniques for ski touring (kick turns) and mountain safety (avalanche rescue).
Vertical ascent: 445m
Day 2 : Ascending the gentle alpage slopes, we reach a livestock enclosure and then the huge Malatra valley. Depending on the wishes of the group, we can either head for the Col de Malatra (2928m) or the Col d’Entre Deux Sauts (2524m). A beautiful descent takes us back down to the hut and then the valley. Transfer to Chamonix, which we reach by mid-afternoon.
Vertical ascent: 500 m / Vertical descent: 950 m (Col d’Entre deux Sauts)
Vertical ascent: 900 m / Vertical descent: 1 350 m (Col de Malatra)
This programme is meant as a guide only. Depending on the abilities of the group and the conditions in the mountains, your mountain guide may alter the route.
Group session associates several people who don’t know each other. It allows for a planned program to benefit from an attractive price on fixed dates. This formula is ideal for people looking for the friendliness of a group.
Dates 2020 : february 07&08 - february 15&16 - february 22&23 - february 29&march 30 - march 07&08 - march 14&15 - march 21&22 - march 28&29.
Price 2020 : 340€ per person based on minimum of 4 participants.
Included in the package:
- IFMGA English speaking mountain guiding service
- Half-board in mountain hut (dinner, breakfast and night)
- Transfers as per programme
- Rental of full safety kit (avalanche transceiver/DVA, shovel, probe)
Not included in the package:
- Personal drinks in huts and other personal expenses (we recommend you bring Euros)
- Take out lunches and daily snacks
- Cost of getting to meeting point (Chamonix)
- Personal technical equipment
Private hiring is the historical relationship that binds a guide to his/her client. It allows you to be alone, or in a constituted group, with your guide that meets your specific needs. It is undoubtedly the ideal formula to realize your projects because it guarantees you a maximum of comfort. You are free to choose your departure date (depending on the availability of the huts) and the itinerary can be adjusted, according to your specific expectations.
Prices 2020 :
2 persons : 630€ per person
3 persons : 440€ per person
4 persons : 350€ per person
5 persons : 290€ per person
6 persons : 255€ per person
These prices include the same conditions as mentioned above.
Meeting point : Meet at 08:30 at the Compagnie des Guides office in Chamonix. Transfer by minibus to the departure point. (Participants may leave personal belongings in our office until the group returns). Return to Chamonix by minibus.
Ability level : An appropriate choice of destination is essential for you to properly enjoy your holiday. To get the most out of your trip we recommend you take regular exercise throughout the year and, where necessary, undertake specific training a few months before you leave. Try to avoid last minute training that can lead to injury. It is important you do not overestimate your abilities and you understand that the weight of your backpack, the altitude and the snow conditions can negatively impact on your normal skiing ability.
Physical level : For people who occasionally exercise/take part in sports. No ski touring experience necessary but ski off-piste experience is require. Vertical ascent of up to 600m per day. Three to four hours of exercise per day. Altitudes of under 3000m.
Technical level : For piste skiers making their first turns off-piste. Wide, shallow slopes (up to 30°). Good skiing ability in easy snow conditions.
Guiding policy : 4 to 6 people. The Compagnie des Guides de Chamonix's guiding policy is one of the strictest in the mountain guiding business. It guarantees the most balanced groups as possible as well as high-quality personalised advice.
Accomodation : Half-board in Bonatti hut.
Before & after the trip: We have some hotel partners in Chamonix with special prices for our customers.
Documentation : Participants must have mountain sports insurance with repatriation cover. We strongly recommend that this also includes cancellation cover. You can take out insurance offering both of these types of cover when you sign up. Participants must also take valid ID with them.
Preparating for the trip : One week before the trip, the mountain guide will be in contact to answer any questions you may have.
We recommend you to pay particular attention to the choice of your equipment. It contributes greatly to the success of your stay. Weight is decisive: you always have to evaluate the ratio weight/comfort, to find the best compromise. In a general way, it is better to pile up several light coats rather than wear one big clothing.
- Comfortable frameless rucksack of 35l on which you could fix your skis
- Ski touring skis & shoes, rentable
- Adhesive climbing skins & ski knifes adapted to your skis, rentable
- A pair of poles with large discs, rentable
- A security pack including harness, DVA, shovel & probe – this pack will be lend by your guide
- Waterproof and windproof, non-insulated parka with hood (Gore-tex or equivalent), rentable
- Waterproof and windproof, non-insulated pants, rentable
- Thick polar-pile fleece jacket or equivalent
- A light down jacket
- 1 long-sleeve shirt
- Medium weight thermal underwear (top + bottoms, silk or polypro, double as pyjamas)
- Warm ski socks
- Warm ski hat and light sun hat with brim
- Warm ski gloves or mittens
- A pair of adjusted gloves (in leather or fleece)
- Neck protection
- Spare thermal underwear (for sleeping and change)
- High-altitude sunglasses (grade 4 is recommended)
- A goggle
- 1.5 quart water bottle
- An isotherm bottle
- A mini toilet bag including: sun block for face and lips, aspirin, elastoplast, 2nd skin kit, earplug, toilet paper
- A headlamp with spare batteries
- A cotton or silk sleeping sheet: compulsory in every hut. – Hut provide blankets, slippers or clogs
- A plastic bag contains your ID card & Euros for extras
A 10€ discount voucher coming from the shop Au Vieux Campeur will be given to the first 500 clients from the ‘Cie des Guides’ (voucher to be collected at our office). Closest shop ‘Au Vieux Campeur’ : Sallanches.
Book your activity
Select the package of your choice: