The Compagnie des Guides de Chamonix will close its office to the public until May 19.
Telephone hotline only in the morning from 9am to 12pm, Monday to Friday.
Val Magia is a beautiful & wild setting just a stone's throw from Aosta (Italy). The cosy Magia hut (altitude 200m) is the ideal place to be to enjoy the snow early in the season. We propose you a 3_days trip to discover the peacful atmosphere of the Val d'Aoste mountains. You will enjoy the pleasures of skiing and local gastronomy. Thanks to the personalised guide advices, you will improve your technical skills.
This trip is dedicated to experienced skitourers. It's a perfect ski touring trip to start the season with moderates elevations.
Transfert by minibus to les Praz parking (1750m) via Aosta, Nus. We go up to the Magia hut (2007m). Security exercizes (DVA explanations with shovel & probe). Depending on conditions , we can go up to Sarriole Sarren (2383m). Night in the hut.
Positive elevation gain: 600m/ Negative elevation gain: 350m.
Starting to the bottom of Val Magia & the mountains along the Val Peline. Livournea pass (2841m). Night in the hut.
Positive elevation gain: 850m/ Negative elevation gain: 850m.
Go up to Mont Rion (2711m). Descent through Salve pass, to reach Fontaney & Chavarly alpine pastures.
Go back to Chamonix at the end of the afternoon.
Positive elevation gain: 700m/ Negative elevation gain: 700m.
Group session associates several people who don’t know each other. It allows for a planned program to benefit from an attractive price on fixed dates. This formula is ideal for people looking for the friendliness of a group.
Dates 2021 : January 15-17 ; January 29-31 ; February 12-14 ; February 26-28.
Price 2021 : 520€ per person based on minimum of 4 participants.
Included in the package :
- IFMGA English speaking mountain guiding service
- Half-board in mountain hut (dinner, breakfast and night)
- Transfers as per programme
- Rental of full safety kit (avalanche transceiver/DVA, shovel, probe)
Not included in the package :
- Personal drinks in huts and other personal expenses (we recommend you bring Euros)
- Take out lunches and daily snacks
- Cost of getting to meeting point (Chamonix)
- Personal technical equipment
Private hiring is the historical relationship that binds a guide to his/her client. It allows you to be alone, or in a constituted group, with your guide that meets your specific needs. It is undoubtedly the ideal formula to realize your projects because it guarantees you a maximum of comfort. You are free to choose your departure date (depending on the availability of the huts) and the itinerary can be adjusted, according to your specific expectations.
Prices 2021 :
1 person: 1795€ per person
2 persons : 965€ per person
3 persons : 690€ per person
4 persons : 550€ per person
5 persons : 470€ per person
6 persons : 415€ per person
These prices include the same conditions as mentioned above.
In this section, find all the information about this activity. For further information, please contact our advisor (contact details above).
Meeting point : Meet at 08:30 at the Compagnie des Guides office in Chamonix. Transfer by minibus to the departure point. (Participants may leave personal belongings in our office until the group returns). Return to Chamonix by minibus.
Ability level : An appropriate choice of destination is essential for you to properly enjoy your holiday. To get the most out of your trip we recommend you take regular exercise throughout the year and, where necessary, undertake specific training a few months before you leave. Try to avoid last minute training that can lead to injury. It is important you do not overestimate your abilities and you understand that the weight of your backpack, the altitude and the snow conditions can negatively impact on your normal skiing ability.
Fitness level : For people who regularly exercise/take part in sports and who have a previous ski touring experience. Vertical ascent of up to 900m per day. Five to six hours of exercise per day.
Technical level : For off-piste skiers making their first forays into ski touring. Wide slopes with short sections of narrow passages (up to 30°). Able to ski in all snow conditions.
Guiding policy : 4 to 6 people. The Compagnie des Guides de Chamonix's guiding policy is one of the strictest in the mountain guiding business. It guarantees the most balanced groups as possible as well as high-quality personalised advice.
Accomodation : Half-board in Magia hut.
Before & after the trip: We have some hotel partners in Chamonix with special prices for our customers.
Documentation : Participants must have mountain sports insurance with repatriation cover. We strongly recommend that this also includes cancellation cover. You can take out insurance offering both of these types of cover when you sign up. Participants must also take valid ID with them.
Preparating for the trip : One week before the trip, the mountain guide will be in contact to answer any questions you may have.
We recommend you to pay particular attention to the choice of your equipment. It contributes greatly to the success of your stay. Weight is decisive: you always have to evaluate the ratio weight/comfort, to find the best compromise. In a general way, it is better to pile up several light coats rather than wear one big clothing.
- Comfortable frameless rucksack of 35l on which you could fix your skis
- Ski touring skis & shoes, rentable
- Adhesive climbing skins & ski knifes adapted to your skis, rentable
- A pair of poles with large discs, rentable
- A security pack including harness, DVA, shovel & probe - this pack will be lend by your guide
- Waterproof and windproof, non-insulated parka with hood (Gore-tex or equivalent), rentable
- Waterproof and windproof, non-insulated pants, rentable
- Thick polar-pile fleece jacket or equivalent
- A light down jacket
- 1 long-sleeve shirt
- Medium weight thermal underwear (top + bottoms, silk or polypro, double as pyjamas)
- Warm ski socks
- Warm ski hat and light sun hat with brim
- Warm ski gloves or mittens
- A pair of adjusted gloves (in leather or fleece)
- Neck protection
- Spare thermal underwear (for sleeping and change)
- High-altitude sunglasses (grade 4 is recommended)
- A goggle
- 1.5 quart water bottle
- An isotherm bottle
- A mini toilet bag including: sun block for face and lips, aspirin, elastoplast, 2nd skin kit, earplug, toilet paper
- A headlamp with spare batteries
- A cotton or silk sleeping sheet: compulsory in every hut. - Hut provide blankets, slippers or clogs
- A plastic bag contains your ID card & Euros for extras
Partners : You can rent your equipment with our rental shops partners and benefit from special price Sanglard Sports, Ravanel & Co & Concept Pro Shop.
A 10€ discount voucher coming from the shop Au Vieux Campeur will be given to the first 500 clients from the ‘Cie des Guides’ (voucher to be collected at our office). Closest shop ‘Au Vieux Campeur’ : Sallanches.
Select the package of your choice: