The Compagnie des Guides de Chamonix has developed a collection of tours and summer camps especially for children aged 9 to 13. Based around different daily physical activities, they allow your children to meet new people, improve their self-confidence and develop an awareness of environmental issues while exploring the mountains of the Mont Blanc Massif.
- 6-day summer camp: Outdoor and hiking activities with accommodation in tents and mountain huts
- 6-day Tour du Mont Blanc: Route specially developed for children with accommodation in tents
- 4-day Tour des Fiz: Hike in the heart of the Sixt-Passy nature reserve with accommodation in mountains huts and gîtes
The Compagnie des Guides de Chamonix offers a summer camp providing a gentle introduction to the mountains. The camp consists in 3 multi-activity days with camping overnight followed by 3 days of hiking with nights in a mountain hut. The programme focuses on a graduated approach, combining physical activity and exploring the local heritage. The trip to see the dinosaur footprints provides an exciting opportunity for your children to fully appreciate the history of life on Earth.
To best meet the needs of the children, the group is run by two mountain professionals. The overnight stays in a mountain hut guarantee a secure environment and suitable accommodation.
The Kids summer camp is aimed at kids who are keen on sports and curious about exploring the mountain environment. It is a logical preparatory trip for the Kids Tour du Mont Blanc or Kids Tour des Fiz.
Day 1: Set up camp & canyoning
Short transfer to Vallorcine. The morning is dedicated to setting up the tents in the heart of the campsite and taking the time to ensure we are all comfortable. In the afternoon we descend a local canyon. On the programme: a fun descent of the Torrent de Barberine with jumps, waterfall rappels and natural flumes. We return to the campsite for the night.
Day 2: Mountain safety
Hiking around Vallorcine focusing on mountain safety and survival skills. We discover the local mountain plants used by our ancestors to treat wounds. We light a fire by friction alone, without using lighters or matches. Finally, we learn the basics for use in case of accident. We return to the campsite for the night.
Vertical ascent: 400m - descent: 400m
Day 3: Rafting & climbing
We return to Chamonix for a day full of excitement! The morning is about high-adrenaline excitement rafting down the Arve. While in the afternoon we go to the Gaillands rock climbing area for a fun introduction to rock and the vertical world. We return to the campsite for the night.
Day 4: Emosson Dam - Vieil Emosson mountain hut
We start our day by taking down our tents and packing up at the campsite before a short transfer takes us to the impressive Emosson Dam in Switzerland. During a guided tour we learn the basics of hydroelectricity, the main source of renewable energy in France. Next we continue our journey to the Vieil Emosson mountain hut (2181m), where we spend the night.
Vertical ascent: 200m
Day 5: Vieil Emosson mountain hut - La Loriaz mountain hut
Now we head off in search of dinosaurs! The Emosson site is full of footprints left over 240 million years ago. An educational trail leads us to the point where we can actually see them. We now move on to the rugged Col de la Terrasse (2648m) from where we start our descent down to the delightful La Loriaz mountain hut that nestles among high mountain pastures (2020m), and where we spend the night.
Vertical ascent: 500m - descent: 620m
Day 6: La Loriaz mountain hut - Emosson Dam
A pleasant traversing trail past rhododendrons and mountain grasslands leads us to the Emosson Dam. All along our return to the heart of the Montagne de la Loriaz and Barberine we are afforded breath-taking views of the Mont Blanc Massif and its legendary peaks. We return to the Chamonix Compagnie des Guides office by 4pm.
Vertical ascent: 100m - descent: 100m
This programme is meant as a guide only. Depending on the abilities of the group and the conditions in the mountains, your mountain guide may alter the route.
Group session associates several people who don’t know each other. It allows for a planned program to benefit from an attractive price on fixed dates. This formula is ideal for people looking for the friendliness of a group.
Dates in 2022: Find all the dates available in the drop-down list below.
Price for 2022: 880€ per person - based on a minimum of 10 participants.
This price includes:
- The organization and supervision by 2 state qualified trekking guide,
- The specific professionals for canyoning, rafting and rock climbing
- Full board in hut and camp site
- All the activities described
- Transfers throughout the hike,
Not included in the price:
- Drinks and personal expenditure (bring Euro),
- Repatriation insurance (compulsory).
In this section, find all the information about this activity. For further information, please contact our advisor (contact details above).
Meeting point: Meet at 8.30 am at the Compagnie des Guides office, 190 Place de l’Eglise, 74400 Chamonix.
Level: 2/5 - The summer camp includes hikes with 100m to 500m of vertical ascent and an average of 4 to 5 hours walking per day. Children must be able to swim 25m and put their heads under water for the white-water activities. Children must be keen on sports, capable of following instructions and to be an independent member of a group.
Supervision: The professionals looking after your children form a team dedicated to hikes for children. The group will consist in a maximum of 10 to 14 children.
- 2 state accredited mountain leaders (1 man, 1 woman) for the 6 days
- 2 mountain guides and 2 white-water instructors complete the team for the canyoning, rafting and rock climbing activities.
Accommodation: 3 nights in tents and 2 nights in mountain huts. The camping area has 3 and 4 person tents plus a large ‘mess’ tent, all erected by the children. The mountain leaders sleep in the mountain huts with the children.
Meals: our guiding team prepares healthy balanced meals daily, using fresh local products as much as possible. Naturally, food preferences of the children are taken into consideration.
- Participants must have sports insurance with repatriation cover. We strongly recommend that this also includes cancellation cover. You can take out insurance offering both of these types of cover when you sign up.
- Participants must also take valid ID with them.
- Authorization to leave the French country
Preparing for the trip: There is an information meeting with your mountain leader the day before departure at 6pm at the Compagnie des Guides Office.
For the attention of the legal guardian of the registered minor : The legal guardian is aware of the sporting and risky nature of the activities offered as part of this service. Failure to comply with safety instructions and level requirements can lead to accidents
We recommend that you take special care in choosing your equipment because it contributes greatly to the success of your trip. As alpine conditions can be highly variable with sudden changes, it can get very cold in altitude, it is preferable to have numerous layers rather than one thick piece of clothing. It is not uncommon to have snow in the middle of summer, do not skimp on warm clothes even if the weather seems favourable. Contrarily, the sun can be scorching hot. Without weighing too much, you should always have sufficient equipment in your backpack to deal with the capricious and severe weather.
- A comfortable backpack with sufficient volume for the days belongings which is properly adapted to the childs morphology. . Make sure you have enough space for the picnic. A small tip in case it rains : even if you have a backpack cover, always protect your belongings in a plastic bag (a big rubbish bag) inside your backpack.
- A compact and solid travel bag, maximum 15kg, with the childs name. If the sleeping bag is too latge place it in another bag.
- A pair of hiking boots with Vibram or Contagrip soles. For new shoes, we strongly suggest that you wear them beforehand to mold them to the shape of your foot. If you are prone to blisters : talcum powder applied to dry feet and in your shoes before you start your days hiking. Provide elastoplast to put on their heels and sides of their feet.
For added comfort regarding underwear, (t-shirts, boxers, socks), avoid cotton which is heavy, cold and dries very slowly. Opt for synthetic technical fabrics or wool, which is making a comeback. They are warmer and dry quickly.
For the entire trip:
- 6 pairs of socks
- 5 underpants
- 5 T-shirts
- 3 shorts
- 1 pair of jogging trousers and sweater
- 1 sweatshirt
- 1 warm jumper
- 1 undershirt/jumper
- 1 warm outfit for the evening (down jacket or thick fleece)
For the hike:
- 1 short-sleeved t-shirt
- 1 long-sleeved t-shirt (technical fabric)
- 1 polar fleece
- 1 pair of shorts
- 1 pair of hiking trousers
- 1 pair of hiking socks (technical fabric/terrycloth)
- 1 Goretex jacket (waterproof windbreaker)
- 1 poncho (large rain cover that fits over your pack) or 1 pack cover
- 1 pair of waterproof trousers (although light Gore-tex trousers are expensive, other types of light waterproof trousers will do)
- Sun hat or baseball cap
- 1 warm hat
- 1 pair of gloves
For the entire trip:
- Sun cream and lip salve
- 1 water bottle (minimum 1 litre but 1.5 litres is better)
- 1 knife
- 1 fork (type "spork")
- 1 pair of telescopic poles
- 1 sleeping bag
- 1 ground sheet/matress
- 1 pair of comfortable shoes or flip flops
- Toiletries, hand towel, bath towel
- Flashlight or headlight
- Games, playing cards, book ....
- Personal pharmacy : elastoplast, (stretchable strapping tape), band-aids "second skin" kit, compresses, medicines for common ailments : diarrhea, constipation, sore throat, headaches, pain relief, allergies and any prescribed medication. The mountain leader always carries a first aid kit with them. Remember that packing light is essential.
For the hike:
- 1 sleeping bag liner
Our Rental Partners : You can rent your equipment with our rental shops partners and benefit from special price Sanglard Sports, Ravanel & Co & Concept Pro Shop
Our Equipment Partners : Millet, Dynastar, Julbo, Grivel & Monnet